It happens often that people tell me their idea for a website and in their minds it has a lot of bells and whistles. To be honest that is how it looked in my mind when I thought about my first website. I wanted so much!
Strangely enough the experts speak about simple websites. A website that emphasizes what you are about and what your message is. And as little as possible that distracts from that message.
Mainly because people are busy, they skim read and they just don’t take the time anymore to stay on a website and look around at their leisure. They sometimes literally only spend seconds before they decide to stay or to click way to never come back.
So what influences people to stay and read more?
- Have a header [top of your page] that shows the visitor what you are about.
- A menu at the top with clear names for the pages so people can easily see what they are about.
- Only use images that make sense to the content of your page. Images are popular so do use them, but don’t overdo it.
- Address a problem people have. That captures their attention.
- Make sure your website is easy to navigate.
- Do not use flash on your website!
- Make sure that it loads quickly.
- Be careful with not using too much colour on your website. Most good websites have a white background. Colour is so personal and too much of it in the background can put people off.
These are just some tips that can help you build a website that people will like to visit. The good thing is that a simple website is also cheaper to build. So it is a win-win scenario for you.